August 22, 2012

My Almost Tangible God

(This is the article Collin read out loud while we were in Germany)


He is here.

In the breath in my lungs, in the thunder outside my window. In the salt of my tears, in the crack of my voice. 

He is here.

He is everywhere. He moves, He stirs, He is present.

I would like to tell you a story. Many stories, to be more precise. But it meshes together into our story.

So many teenagers. So many hearts. So many lives. Ready, willing, wanting, desirous of one main thing: the perfect will of God.

That is how I view this youth group. Abnormal, really. Different, set apart. Because, well, because of so many things. Because of parents who saw further than their own futures, people who began praying before we were born, but most of all, an all seeing, merciful God.

And two years ago, in June, He became almost tangible. He has been ever since.

Away from the temptations of the world, away from the easy access technology at home, feeling positive peer pressure and the keen desire to do right, a week is enough time to get really close to your Maker. And get close we did.

By Tuesday night of the meeting we were all fully open to whatever our God wanted to do with us. We began to worship Him in earnest, and were just so thankful for all of His goodness. Praising Him was number 1 on our list of priorities.

On Wednesday or Thursday, we were singing in music class. It became powerful, and not only were we meaning every word we sung, but we were singing in four part harmony, clean and beautiful, from the top of our lungs. The song director stopped us for a minute.

“That is beautiful. That is just so plumb beautiful! You reckon they can hear us in heaven right now? Can you imagine how good it’s gonna be up there?!”

In the middle of summer, with not a cloud in sight and one of the prettiest days you’ve seen, a huge, loud clap of thunder sounded above us.

An almost holy hush fell.

“Well, I guess God agrees.”

And that, I believe, was when He became an almost tangible God to me.

3 comments:

  1. This is really good!!! I remember that year like it was yesterday! God became real to me that year. Such a 'God' thing!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's so good to us! That year made such a huge impact on all of us, I don't believe any of us will ever forget it!

      Delete
  2. This post came to my mind at random today, and I actually searched it out! Wow! four years! It brought tears to my eyes! It was so long ago and yet it still has a huge impact. The Lord has taught me so much since then, and I feel even closer to Him now than I did that year at camp. I got things settled. I got serious with God for good for the first time last year at camp. Keep writing Kelley! You have a true gift! It is such a blessing and an encouragement! This post needs to be framed in the teen class as a reminder that God is much more tangible than He seems, that He is reachable, that He is real, and that we only need to make Him real to ourselves!

    ReplyDelete