August 9, 2012

Another Day

I didn't get a chance to post anything yesterday because after we were done working and had cleaned up, we ate supper and then went to another village to hand out flyers inviting people to come to church Sunday. I think we're doing the same thing tonight so I'm blogging while Amie and Hannah P. are helping with breakfast. Two girls help with different meals everyday, and today Kaylee and I are helping with lunch. Hannah A. and Jael have supper. Now you have that useful information, do with it what you want. :)

The outside of the house is almost done being painted, and the cobblestones are very close to all being laid.Yesterday the girls swept sand. I've learned that Americans take lots of shortcuts! Whereas we would have spent one day pouring concrete, over here it's much more than that. They have a rain tax so if the rain can sink down into the earth it's cheaper. If they have asphalt it has to run out into the drain in the city, and is more expensive. So the boys lay and cut the stones, and they dump this huge load of sand on top. We girls have been sweeping it into the cracks to fill them up. The problem is they have a machine that shakes it all down because it's probably around 3-4 inches deep. So we sweep, they shake, and we sweep some more. And when it rains, the sand will settle more and there will be more sand to be swept in. Did that make any sense? If not, I'll explain it better when we get back.

The girls will start painting a room inside soon, but we've been sweeping so much we haven't had time. Plus Bro. Heith's been using all the rollers.

There's been more than just work, though. We've been making fun of each other, eating and cooking a lot, gorging on chocolate and German candy, and laughing the whole time. We've had several authentic German dishes, and the food over here is good, but different. The light switches and toilet handles are buttons. Hannah A. is most fascinated by them.

I have 15 minutes until breakfast, so I'll post some pictures and then go eat. Love you all!

(I'm sorry there aren't very many pictures of the boys. When we went to pass out fliers we were in two separate groups and none of the boys have given me their memory cards yet. I'll try to get them soon.)
Singing after church Wednesday night
The Cornerstone girls made our boys help with the dishes last night. They were so impressed they took pictures!
Laying the stones and sweeping in the sand.
Jael, Hannah A., Amie, Stephanie, and Thomas
Hannah P. and me
Passing out flyers!
Amie putting a flyer in someone's mailbox

6 comments:

  1. Kelley, Just so you know, I check your blog several times during the day to make sure I don't miss anything. We LOVE the pictures and descriptions of your day. I am so glad you girls are using your good work ethics and putting in a hard day of labor with the boys!! Keep having fun too! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too check your blog every, hmm, hour! ;). Gotta love these iPhones and the ability to read it on the go! Seriously, you have NO idea how thankful I am that you take the time out of what is obviously an incredibly busy day to post these! Thanks!
    You guys are a true blessing. (that makes all of us Mommas look good ya know!)
    Give my love to Collin. -Mrs. Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, I may not be your momma but I too am checking your blog often. Tyler, Logan, and Emma are so interested in what your doing and where you are. Tyler asks at every meal what your doing and he is amazed that at lunch here you are eating supper!
    I can't begin to tell you how much of a blessing it is to see you all over there and your smiles. You all look so beautiful "even while sweeping sand"!
    Mrs. Mikah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here! Jim says you are our "roving reporter." I wish all of our teens could experience this! I'm sure there will be other opportunities though! We missed you all on Wed. night!!!
    Can't wait to hear all of your stories in person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also am checking your blog OFTEN!!!!! Love seeing the pictures and hearing about your day! Like it has been said, you all are making us mommas very "proud" for lack of better word! My heart swells and my eyes fill with tears with each time I read your blog and look at your pictures! Oh and I did laugh when you said Hannah A was the most impressed with the light switches,(she gets that from her Momma!) It doesn't take much to entertain us! LOL! Praying for you all, love and miss you all! Mrs. Holley

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to laugh when I read that Hannah was the most fascinated with the switches!!!lol That is so Hannah!!! I miss all you guys!!!!!! Well keep the post coming!!! I really enjoy them!!

    ReplyDelete