November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving

"The pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts. No Americans have been more impoverished than these, who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving."

I think this should be the most celebrated holiday in America. It doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves, and it's usually outshined by Christmas. It's a truly American holiday. A day where our ancestors, amidst the trial and affliction they were were going through, still found a reason to be thankful.

I am thankful for many things. There are the obvious - life, health, salvation, friends, family, etc. But I'm thankful for so much more than that. 

In this country, we take so many things for granted. Today, I am thankful that I woke up. I'm thankful that I didn't struggle for breath and I had two legs to walk on. That's more than a lot of people can say. 

I'm thankful that when I think of one thing that could make me sad, I can think of three things to make me happy. I'm thankful for memories that make me cry, and the ones that make me laugh. 

I'm thankful for phones, email, and Skype. Things that get overused and abused, but allow me to talk to family and friends I can't see today.

I'm thankful for this country. I'm thankful that through the many mistakes she makes, God is still giving her grace. I'm thankful He found it in His mercy to allow me to be born here, in the town I was born in, to the family I entered. 

I am thankful for life. I am thankful for health. I am thankful.
 

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment