July 6, 2013

Summer Saturday: Homemade Doughnuts

How do you spell that anyway? Donut? Doughnut? Donut / Doughnut 

Confession is good for the soul: These were a little hard to make, and weren't as yummy as I thought they would be. They were good, just not "Oh, wow! These are going on the make-once-a-month-list!" good. I got the recipe from Pinterest.

EASY: 
Making the dough. It required very few ingredients, not too much of anything.
HARD:
Peeling and dicing the apples. It took me twelve years to do two apples!

I'm not actually this tall, Amie snapped that picture at just the right moment - right as I opened the cabinet doors and went up on my toes. I think it makes me look kind of queenly.

BORING:
Letting it rise. Covered, 2 hours in a room temperature place (which was our microwave with the door ajar so the light stayed on and kept it warm.) THEN, transfer to the refrigerator for 4 hours. Come again? That's 5 hours for doughnuts!

MADDENING (meaning that whilst doing this I got mad):
Making the dough into doughnut shapes. Grrrrrrrrr. Ok, so I'm one of those people that follows a (new) recipe exactly to the tee. Lightly packed brown sugar? Softly tap fingers on measuring cup of brown sugar. Pipe dough into three inch circles? Why of course. NOT! This did not work, let me tell you. So in a panic, I begged my mom for help and she told me to flour it and roll them out. We had no idea what else to do, it was really difficult! Therefore instead of 18 doughnuts, I had 15 weirdly shaped balls of dough. (I'm so not a chef.)


Christine said, "I just make them round and cut out the middle." *blink* That would have worked great. Next time I'll do that! (Probably not going to be a next time... ;))

Oh boy, those are beautiful!! haha

MESSY:
Dipping them in the powdered sugar/milk glaze. I just made the glaze, dunked the tops of the doughnuts,  put them back on the cooling rack and watched it all drip down on the counter.

COOL:
Making the caramel glaze. I'll do this part again!! It's just sugar and water, then it boils for awhile and you watch it change colors. Then you add heavy cream and butter and it's like a volcano effect! So cool! Plus it made the doughnuts extra pretty.


FUN:
Now, what do you think the fun part was? ;)



Next time I want doughnuts I'll just tear up some canned biscuits and toss them in some oil, fry them and dip them in the glaze. But now I can say I've made doughnuts from scratch, and they weren't half bad! :) (Plus I also learned how to make caramel glaze from scratch: +1 for me!)

Overall it probably took me about 7 hours working on and off. (That's including rising time and clean up.) Mama just made some ice cream downstairs for us to eat tomorrow. It probably took her about 5 minutes, I'm not even going to ask. ;)

One of these days! :)

Summer Bucket List: finish five books by only reading them outside; make homemade donuts; eat fruit every day; start running (again-ish); catch a jar full of lightening bugs with Jace and Jackson; have friends over for a cookout and games; buy a bike; go camping; buy colorful tennis shoes; journal every night; blog once a week; complete a DIY; play whiffle ball and win; take the boys to the park; go on a picnic at Defeated; go to the zoo;  either go to the Hermitage again (ride a carriage this time), or go to Belmont Mansion or Bel Meade Plantation; decorate my corner of the office; get some hydrangeas; help clean up the pool area; make a dress with my mom






4 comments:

  1. Hey Kelley.
    I just started following your page. I really enjoy it. It is nice to read about you and about Faith on her blog. When you move away from such a wonderful church as Cornerstone, it's nice to still be in touch with the people still there and get encouragement. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoy it. :) I can't imagine leaving here, but I know if I have to one day I'll want people to keep me updated and encouraged. I love reading about Faith's adventures in PNG, it sounds like she's having a wonderful time! I hope y'all are doing well!

      Delete
  2. Those doughnuts look good.
    You should try the the ones on Grace's blog too (they're easier) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kaitlyn! I've made doughnuts very similar to the ones Grace made, and they ARE really good! I have a weakness for doughnuts. ;)

      Delete