July 16, 2013

Hallelujah!

At Music School last week we learned the Hallelujah Chorus in advanced music reading class. It was amazing. We learned it in 3 days!! We sang it on Thursday night and Friday night for everyone and some of us were so excited we were shaking. It's one of those songs that gives you chill bumps! 

It took George Fredrick Handel only 16 days to write the entire Messiah, and it's a three hour long piece. (The Hallelujah Chorus is only part of it, a piece took 3 days to write.) It was written in 1741 (over 300 years old!) 

His servant said he went to take Handel some water while he was writing, and he had tears running down his face as he wrote. He sent him away, and said he had to keep on writing. 

They sang it for the king, and when they got to the Hallelujah Chorus, the king stood up. Since then, whenever you go to a concert or hear the Hallelujah Chorus, everyone stands up. We stood on the platform and sang to a congregation of standing people. I've never experienced anything like it before. 

The Messiah was a God-inspired piece, and we've discussed how surely, a musical piece this complex, this beautiful, this God-inspired, and taken straight from the KJV (every bit of it!) must be sung in heaven. 

Friday night there were 355 people in our church. Hannah videoed it, and I wanted to share it on here. She was sitting near the back, so don't worry if it's a little hard to watch, it's the music that matters. I hope you enjoy it!










6 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing! I've been to hear Handel's Messiah twice at the symphony and would go again any chance I got. It is a very moving piece! You all did great singing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mrs. JoAnna! It was so much fun to learn and sing! I love watching Bro. David direct it. :) He said he'd like to make it an annual piece, and eventually add other pieces from the Messiah.

      Delete
  2. It is amazing. I learned from my school doing the Handel's Messiah that he got saved from reading the Oratorio. He was sick & depressed before and then he wrote the music. After preforming it he didn't want any compliments or money but said it is music for everyone....the sick & depressed because it helped him find the Lord.

    Don't know if you've seen my school doing it yet. I posted it Sunday but I'm uploading more and more videos over the days with some more solos as well as Chorus songs.

    Iris♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did hear it, and y'all did a really good job!

      The stories behind Handel's Messiah just make it that much better. Anytime an artist reflects praise off of himself and gives all the glory to God, it makes me enjoy their work so much more. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for uploading this one Kelley! There was another video uploaded on Youtube that we sang on Thursday night but Friday night was definitely better!! I love hearing all the Amens and the shouting on this one! It gave me chills (goosebumps.. is that what y'all call it here too?)while we were singing it and now that I'm hearing it again, I have goosebumps again! It kind of gives us a little bitty glimpse of how wonderful and amazing it will be in Heaven! Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friday night was so much better! I loved learning that song, and I've listened to it so many times. I have a feeling it's going to be stuck in my head for quite awhile! :)

      (P.S. We call it chills, goosebumps, cold chillies, chill bumps...we're pros at making up words to express the way we feel. ;) haha)

      Delete