June 29, 2013

Summer Saturday: DIY completed

I crossed off my first bucket list item today!

I made a bulletin board collage for my little corner of the office at church. I'm not a DIY person - they take time and I don't have the patience for them. But this was very simple, and I'm not even sure if it counts as an official DIY project, but I'm counting it because it's going to help me knock off another item on my list, and I can't think of another DIY I have the desire to do.

We already had the bulletin board in my brothers old room, so when I saw my mom refinishing/painting our coffee table, I brought it outside and started in. Very spontaneous of me. ;)


It needed two coats, I was running out of paint, and it was so hot outside that it was drying too fast, becoming tacky, and rolling off the frame. My brush was really bad, so I eventually switched to one of those little sponge things and it worked much better. By this point though, I was already frustrated, so I finished it pretty quickly, cleaned up my mess and threw all of my "tools" away, and left it outside for the next few hours while I cleaned my bathroom. (This is why I don't usually choose DIY projects. ;) )


There will be no close up photos of my paint job!! :)

After dark, around 9:30, I got my pictures out and started putting them on some colorful and patterned construction paper. After this, there is no explaining to do. Just glue, trim, glue, trim.


The photo credit goes to my little sister Amie. She got my face in one of them, but I look 12 years old in it, so I won't be showing that one.

After that step, which took me longer than it would have any other human being on the planet, I sort of arranged them on the board. By "sort of arranged" I mean I just moved them around until they all fit. I didn't have room for one of me and my cousin, which made me a little sad, but I'll just swap it for one of the others in a few weeks. (Oh, by the way, I took out all the old thumb tacks with a butter knife because I couldn't find a flat head screw driver. That was the part that made me feel the most crafty.)


And then I smashed it with mah hammah!! No I didn't, I just stapled them on. I just wanted to say that.


There were about 15 dozen pictures of my hands stapling the pictures down because Amie said she couldn't find the right angle. You can tell this is a stapler and this is me stapling pictures, right? ;)

The finished product!! I love it. I'm still not crazy about doing DIY projects, so I don't want to do another one any time soon, but I like it. It will be on my wall hopefully Monday morning!! (When I finish decorating my corner, pictures will be shared.)

This was one of my least favorite tasks on my bucket list, but I really did enjoy doing it. Much more than I thought I would - especially while painting that frame! But now it's way past time for bed.

Good night to all, and I hope everyone has a beautiful Lord's day!

Summer Bucket List: finish five books by only reading them outside; make homemade donuts; eat fruit every day; start running (again-ish); catch a jar full of lightening bugs with Jace and Jackson; have friends over for a cookout and games; buy a bike; go camping; buy colorful tennis shoes; journal every night; blog once a week; complete a DIY; play whiffle ball and win; take the boys to the park; go on a picnic at Defeated; go to the zoo;  either go to the Hermitage again (ride a carriage this time), or go to Belmont Mansion or Bel Meade Plantation; decorate my corner of the office; get some hydrangeas; help clean up the pool area; make a dress with my mom








4 comments:

  1. I MADE THE PICTURE BOARD!!
    Collin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! You did a really good job!!! Can't wait to see it hanging in your offic!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Bekah! Hopefully it'll be up by Wednesday. :)

      Delete