May 18, 2017

a matter of time


I have so many things I want to write about, but can never seem to land on a topic long enough to come up with anything. I think it's because I've learned over the past year that a lot of the things that seem to constantly be on my mind also cast a shadow over my spirit and are simply things out of my control that are better pushed to the side of my thoughts. Things that only time will resolve and reveal, and I just need to wait.

I feel like I write too much about the topic of waiting, but that's the season of life I'm in right now. A lot of areas in my life cause me to practice this. Waiting for approval to finish a job, waiting on information to complete a list, waiting for healing, waiting on the Lord...waiting.

Right now there are a couple of things I want to grasp in my hands and fix, to make better, change, or finish. But in these situations, that's completely and entirely impossible. I'm trying to wrap my mind around the fact that it's not that my hands are tied behind my back and I'm completely helpless - because that's exactly how it feels - but it's a matter of faith, of total surrender to the Lord's will and timing. It's trusting Him to finish the job as He sees fit, and in the timing He's ordained.

Faith still doesn't always come natural to me. I'm someone who naturally wants to get things done and take action. It's one of the few things I inherited from my mom - Ladies' Meeting at 6:30? Our dishes are prepared and on a warming tray at 3:00. She calls herself a Martha, and I feel the same way so often. When you're naturally bent in that direction, sitting with empty hands and a troubled heart makes you feel so helpless.

Waiting. I asked my dad about it a few months ago, talked to him about how I knew it was simple enough, but didn't understand why God required so very much of it for some people, why even in it's simplicity it can be so hard. He reminded me that waiting can be another word for serving - like when you're at a restaurant, the job of your waiter is to serve you. Perhaps that's what God wants more of from me, from others - service. Wholeheartedly for Him. It's a lesson in patience, in service, in surrender.

Just a matter of time. I can flip back in the pages of my life and see things that have come to fruition quietly. Things that used to be such a big deal to me, but somewhere over the years they became smaller in my mind until they were resolved, and I didn't even notice. One day I'll look back on today, on the burdens that are so heavy for me, and realize God had a perfect plan. Yes, these burdens truly are bigger, more life-changing, and yet, however badly I resist, they are inevitable. I'll look back and see change and heartache, but I'll also see grace. 

If God can show me grace through the lonely days, through the difficult changes, surely I can be gracious in my service towards Him. It's just a matter of time until He reveals the reasons, shows us the full picture.


A Mendicant of God
I stood a mendicant of God before His royal throne
And begged him for one priceless gift, which I could call my own.
I took the gift from out His hand, but as I would depart
I cried, "But Lord this is a thorn and it has pierced my heart.
This is a strange, a hurtful gift, which Thou hast given me."
He said, "My child, I give good gifts and gave My best to thee."
I took it home and though at first the cruel thorn hurt sore,
As long years passed I learned at last to love it more and more.
I learned He never gives a thorn without this added grace,
He takes the thorn to pin aside the veil which hides His face.

-Martha Snell Nicholson


3 comments:

  1. The boys are learning a poem from the same author. I think it is very fitting with your blog for today.

    His Plan for Me - Martha Snell Nicholson

    When I stand at the Judgement Seat of Christ
    And He shows me His plan for me,
    The plan of my life as it might have been,
    Had He had His way; and I see

    How I blocked Him here, and I checked Him there
    And I would not yield my will,
    Will there be grief in my Savior's eyes,
    Grief though He loves me still?

    He would have me rich, yet I stand here poor,
    Stripped of all but His grace,
    While memory runs like a hunted thing
    Down the paths I cannot retrace.

    Then my desolate heart will well nigh break
    With the tears that I cannot shed;
    I shall cover my face with my empty hands;
    I shall bow my uncrowned head.

    Lord of the years that are left to me,
    I give them to thy hand;
    Take me and break me, mold me to
    The pattern Thou hast planned.

    Amanda Gaddes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mrs. Amanda! Faith sent me the poem I used years ago and I've loved it ever since, but I never thought to see if she'd written any others. I love that one, too! It's good to hear that I'm not the only one who still memorizes poetry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys memorize poetry for school. They like it and I think it is good for them.

      Have you thought of going on mission trips while you are waiting?

      Amanda

      Delete